Friday, June 20, 2014

I like Amy Bennett's trees.


There's an artist who I have just loved lately and her name is Amy Bennett.

She paints from miniature scenes that she creates, stages, and lights.  It almost looks like paper or clay--everything has a soft, puffy quality.  So, it's hyper realistic, but in a weird fake way because of the miniature set that it's based off of.  Really awesome.  

I'm always struggling with how to simplify nature visually in a way that keeps the energy and organic qualities intact.  I'm finding more and more that the way I want my version of nature to feel is massive, empty, and deep, which for me seems to mean large spaces of solid color, heightened contrast, less line-work and more shapes.  With each painting I make, I'm starting to see the details that I want to include  and deciding to leave out other earlier.  My brush strokes are slowly becoming more intentional, but with the complexity of landscapes, it's a gradual and experimental process.


I love how Amy Bennett has done it.    They're incredible, simple without losing any detail, and not overworked.  Her topics range from architectural work, to people and group settings, to nature, but I'm specifically drawn to her trees and skies.

Taking a lesson from Amy's work, observation is incredibly important and, I'll admit, I'm horrible at taking the time to work from real life.

Goal: This week, I am going to sit outside and paint trees.  Thanks Amy.










No comments:

Post a Comment