Sunday, May 27, 2012

Colors and Colours and Mantis Shrimp


Radiolab's most recent podcast Colors is, first of all, Amazing.  I highly recommend listening to it if you have the time and desire. Which you should.  
In it, they talk about the....wait for it.....
Picture
BAM!
Mantis Shrimp!
They are
  • Huge.  Up to a foot long and a strike from it's claw can inflict major pain and sometimes can even break through aquarium glass. 
  • Aggressive.  Super territorial and into ritualized fighting.
  • And  Soooo Pretty!!!
But the reason why they are talked about on Radiolab's Color episode is because of their remarkable eyes.  So, we have 3 color receptors in our eyes: blue, green, and red. And Mantis Shrimp have 16.  Yup 16.  They see all sorts of ulta-violet and god knows what else.  They have the most complicated visual system of any animal.  Pretty!!! 

There are a number of speculative reasons for this.  They're major hunters living in coral reefs where colour plays a huge role, especially if your a predator.  If you consider the iridescent quality of fish scales, being able to see more depth in colours would be helpful in distinguishing one fish from another.  So, ya know, it makes sense. No biggie.

But,
then I came across an article "Changes in the colour of light cue circadian activity" that kind of blew my mind.  In the article (I couldn't read all of it because I would have to pay a fee which I can't because I'm poor), researchers discover that behavior in underwater species is highly controlled through colour change, rather than from light to dark transitions like us.

The example they give is that fish are calm when the lighting is blue and aroused when the lighting is orange.  And night and day are not determined by light intensity but by color variations.  If this is true, then imagine the incredible increase in life complexity that the Mantis Shrimp must have if it's seeing more colours than anything else in the ocean. 

If color equals a specific mood or activity to lots of ocean animals, and most fish see (this is a guess) lets say 6 colors and Mantis Shrimp see 16 then by god! What are their days like?!  How many complex social and non social functions do they have?

Here's how it would work:

Normal Fish: "It's Blue outside. I'm tired"
Mantis Shrimp: "Dumbass, it's Blue-Purple-Green!  I was tired like 10 minutes ago and now the colors say it's dinner time and I'm going to eat you."

Or,

Normal Fish: "It's super Yellow today. I'm going to swim in circles.
Mantis Shrimp: "Yellow? Whatev. It's crazy neon Yellow-Orange with undertones of ultra-violet Green today! I'm going to become involved in a monogamous relationship then, if the ultra-violet green dies down, I'll swim around my property and fight anyone to the death that enters.



***For the record, I don't think the color-to-action effect is actually this literal...it's just interesting to think that life could be based on such a different time-line and concept underwater than above water.  So alien! Just wanted to clear that up so I don't look like an idiot.***

Forreal, these animals need to be studied more. 

Picture

No comments:

Post a Comment