Saturday, May 5, 2012

Chinese Water Deer (And Other Husked Animals)


Picture

My friend Kerry wrote to me saying "look up the Chinese Water Deer".  And yes, a deer with tusks is what I found.

Apparently, tusks were around before antlers, meaning it's a very primitive type of deer.  Here's a few fun facts from the internet:
They scream when chased and bark when alarmed
Their tusks are controlled by facial muscles and are pulled back when eating, and trusted forward and together when fighting
  • Wikipedia tells me that there are a few small Water Deer farms in the Southeast U.S.!  WHAT?!
  • I think it looks like a fat mouse with a llama-head. 
    Speaking of tucked, herbivorous, mammals look at this gem of an extinct species:

Picture

  The Dicynodont--a walking turd with tusks.  This fetal piece of poo roamed Austrailia 250 million years ago.

I can't stop looking at it...
Whatever artists drew this rendition really nailed the old flesh look.  It'd make a great evil monster from a horror movie about botched boob implants.  Gnaws out from a low-cut dress during a dinner party....

Ok bedtime! Sweet dreams everybody

No comments:

Post a Comment