Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Meet Dexter

Picture
Yesterday, Corey and I were walking to a store in some really unpleasant weather when we saw a little baby bird on the sidewalk.  We watched it for a while, hopping around and such, then decided to keep going because it's mom was probably nearby.
On the way back from the store (45mins later), the lil birdy was still there. We sat and watched.
There were a few nests in the molding on top of a 3 story brownstone with birds flying in and out, but this lil fella was never going to be able to get back up there. He wasn't super young--he had some feathers--but definitely couldn't fly.
We watched for maybe 20 minutes. It's a busy sidewalk, and we kept having to alert people not to step on him.  Then he happily started hoppin' into the street.  Like Frogger. When Frogger's 'bout to die.

Needless to say, I freaked, grabbed the closest cardboard box (there are lots of stray cardboard boxes in Brookyn), and the lil fella rode the G back to my place!

Then Corey had to go to work.
This is when reality set in because, odd as this may seem given my paintings, I am afraid of birds. They poop a lot, they're too angular to be cuddly, their heads move too fast, their knees are backwards--ew, they're unpredictable, bony, fragile, Freak Dinosaurs with nasty rat-tail legs.


The lil birdy was going pretty crazy in the box.  So, I put bits of bread on a plate and gave him a dish of water and he promptly shat on both.
After running down the street to a very depressing "Pets In Brooklyn!" pet store, I came back with a cheap bird cage, grabbed the birdy with my gloved hands, and put him and his cage next to a window.

I had lots of trouble getting him to eat and drink. I asked my family (who know lots about nature and animals) and the internet about bird care and slowly he began to warm up to me and I began to warm up to him. 

Picture
By the end of the night, I was researching the European Starling (thats what he is) and watching a basketball game and my new little friend found his favorite resting spot on my shoulder.


Today, he's eating (cat food) and drinking (water and egg yolk) and happy and comfortable.

Right now we're thinking that we'll keep him until he's able to fly and take care of himself, then we'll let him go. This, of course, is risky so only time will tell what will actually happen. It would be ideal for him to fly off, be free, and come back every now and then to say hi. Sounds pretty unrealistic though.

We decided to name him Dexter after the main character in the cartoon, Dexter's Laboratory...a cute, endearingly evil, tiny, mastermind.  I now call his cage, his laBORAtory.

Picture
evil gargoyle atop Corey's head
Picture
This is how he sleeps.....
Picture
Look! I can hold him without freaking out now!

No comments:

Post a Comment